- I. A word from the organizers
- II. Questionaire results
- III. Download the book of abstracts (Windows Word, 245 k)
I. A Word From the Organizers
In the suggestive atmosphere of the Catholic University « S. Tommaso D'Aquino », Rome has welcomed all the participants of the XXXVIII Workshop on Inner Ear Biology, September 1 to 4, 2001. More than 180 scientists from all the leading European Research Centers, and a conspicuous delegation from USA and Japan, animated a very busy program running during the Plenary Session.
During the Opening Ceremony, after the Welcome by the Co-President of the Workshop, professor Roberto Filipo, an introductory lecture was given by prof. David Lim who depicted - with his reknown skill - the fields of Research on the inner ear at the dawn of the third Millennium.
The Rome edition of the IEB was implemented with a few novelties. First, the Instructional Courses given during the first hours of each day of the Workshop by Drs. Ferrary, Lefebvre, Mammano, Puel, Ryan and Van de Water, with great appreciation by the audience composed of young but also of experienced scientists. Secondly, specific clinically-oriented sessions were introduced with the aim of a direct exchange of opinions between clinicians and basic scientists on selected topics, such as pressure treatment on the inner ear, stem cells, etc. Finally, during an informal ceremony, a Junior Award, entitled to Einrich Spoendlin, was assigned for the best paper and this year the Board selected Dr. Rudolph Glueckert from Innsbruck.
During the days of the Workshop there was, as usual, a warm and friendly atmosphere which each year ties together old and new friends with the same target in common, i.e. try to shed some more light on the still obscure aspects which characterize many inner ear disorders. Among the topics, interesting sessions regarded Cell Signalling, with the papers given by Dr. Drescher and Dr. Van de Water ; Development and Regeneration, with the contributions by Dr. Lefebvre and Dr. De Ribaupierre ; and Apoptosis and Cell Death, which also had contributions during the Poster Session.
The Business Meeting, which preceded the Gala Dinner held in a typical « Trastevere » theather, with excellent Roman food and a live show, raised several problems such as :
- the need for a more active presence of « young » generations
- the optimization of the Website for keeping everyone informed about IEB-specifically related issues
- the possibility of collecting selected contributions as a Supplement in a Journal
- a fairly positive judgement on the novelties introduced (Junior Award, Instructional Courses).
A farewell speech was finally given by profs. Filipo and Barbara, who wished the best to the next organizer, prof. Lefebvre from Liege, for the 2002 IEB edition.
II. Results from the Questionnaire on the quality of the presentations and the efficiency of organization.
- HOW WOULD YOU EVALUATE THE RELEVANCE OF THE TOPICS OF THE WORKSHOP ?
very good 42%
- HOW DO YOU EVALUATE THE INSTRUCTIONAL COURSES ?
very good 58%
- HOW DO YOU EVALUATE THE CLINICALLY-RELATED SESSIONS ?
very good 10%
- DO YOU BELIEVE THE PROGRAMME CONTAINED
(For oral presentations)
(For poster presentations)
- DO YOU BELIEVE THAT THE WORKSHOP SHOULD BE CONTINUED TO BE RUN ON THE NET ?
yes, but improved 37%
III. To download the book of abstracts, click here.